In High School English we learned to look for the theme of the books we read, so what do we find as the theme of the Bible when reading it?
It’s that the earth will be filled with the glory of the LORD. For example:
- Numbers 14:21 “. . . all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the LORD.”
- Psalm 72:19 “. . . let the whole earth be filled with his glory . . .”
- Isaiah 6:3 “. . . the whole earth is full of his glory.”
- Isaiah 11:9 “for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.”
- Habakkuk 2:14 “For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.”
- Luke 2:14 “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”
- 2 Corinthians 4:6 “. . . the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.”
How then, or, by what, will the earth be filled with the glory of the LORD or the knowledge of the glory of the LORD?
- Isaiah 45:18 “For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD and there is none else.”
- Psalm 115:16 “The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD’s: But the earth hath he given to the children of men.”
So, God had a purpose in creating the earth, which He gave to the children of men, so that they would give glory to Him.
Stay tuned for next week’s article where we see how scripture defines the Glory of the LORD.